Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Manuscripts have claws, and they hurt!

Good Wednesday,

At least I think it’s good, and I think it’s Wednesday. I’m doing a full read-through of my thesis, and my brain’s a little fried.

Ok, it’s a lot fried.

Hence the lack of cute smiley pictures this week.

A few days ago I put the following post to my fellow SHUers:

K, I've gotten to the point with my thesis where I'm questioning every word choice, every sentence structure, every punctuation placement. "I didn't describe enough. I described too much. This paragraph needs to be over there." Someone please tell me this is normal before I pull my hair out.

I received a ton of “this is normal” responses, which made me feel better. I also received a handful of “take a break” responses and even one or two “you’re done” responses.

Well, I’m not done, but I learned a lesson. I’m the first to tell people who are freaking about the little things to move on and not get stuck. Yet, chapter 15 dug its claws into me the other day and wouldn’t let go.

So, I guess I learned two valuable lessons this week.

First, the little stuff really will drive you crazy, and the best course of action is to step away from that section/the entire project. I forced myself not to look at chapter 15 anymore, and I’m now feeling much better.

Second, practice what you preach. “Hey everyone, chill about the small stuff!” *freaks about the small stuff*

I feel like a horrible person now.

*sigh*

Anyway, still slaving around over here. Can’t wait till I pass it in and can breathe easier.

10-4, Pegasus out.

-Mary
@desantismt on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment