Friday, August 10, 2012

Author Interview--Heather Sedlak

Hey folks,

Back to interviews and scheduled to stay there for many Fridays to come.

This week we have Heather Sedlak. She’s one of my fellow second-semesters (or 2s as we are called) at Seton Hill. Here she is.

-What book and/or experience made you want to be a writer?

The Goosebumps series, Star Wars and Watership Down made me want to tell stories. I read basically everything I could get my hands on while I was growing up, but these are the ones that left the biggest mark on me.

-What genre(s) do you write? If more than one, what’s your favorite?

I write sci-fi and fantasy. I don’t really have a favorite one to write because they always end up bleeding into one another.

-What project are you working on now?

I’m working on my thesis which is an Asian-inspired high fantasy and another project which is a sci-fi/fantasy mix.

-Spoilers?

Spoiler alert! Though it may not be obvious, my scifi/fantasy was partially inspired by the 1960s soap opera, Dark Shadows.

-For other aspiring writers, any tips?

Everything can be rewritten. Get the story down.

-What’s your favorite book/genre to read?

My favorite book of all time is Watership Down. I’ve read it at least six times, and I would read it a hundred more. It’s one of those books that I read as a child and loved, and when I got older, I reread it and it took on a profound new meaning. I learn something every time I read it. Other than that, I love reading science fiction and fantasy. There are always great stories that you can find in the lit magazines like Science Fiction and Fantasy and Analog.

-What’s your favorite thing you’ve ever written?

That’s really a tossup, but I’m so in love with this flash I wrote about a boy getting hit by a train.

Want more from Heather?
Check out her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment