Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Good News! (No, the wicked witch is not dead.)

We interrupt this blog hiatus to bring you a special news bulletin.

Today is a good day. It’s a published short story day!

Yes, my fantasy short story, To Forever – approx. 2300 words, is live at Fiction Vortex today. I’m super excited!

Smiley

Yes, that excited!

Anyway, this is the part where I wave and bow and say “go read it. It’s good. I promise.” Well, of course I think it’s good. I wrote it. Seriously, though, this is one of my favorite short stories I’ve ever written, and I’m so pumped to be able to share it with the world. Fiction Vortex blurbs it as a story about a young couple who thought they’d be together forever but with a new magical drink every year, they drift apart. Only, you know, they say it a lot better, and essentially, yes, that is the plot of To Forever. It’s about so much more. It’s about love and change and morality and addiction and how growth changes us for better or worse. It’s about fairies and unicorns and elves and vampires and zombies. Mostly, though, it’s about people. I’m big on writing about the condition of people. It’s a story that was inspired by a piece of art where I live, and after writing it, putting it away for a year, and revising it, it’s now on the internet, and that means the world to me.

So there you go. I got all author-y about my story. So now when this story is discovered by someone big in the industry and immortalized in an anthology of the best works of 2014 and goes down in history as a story that made people think, you can pass the contents of this post to your children’s children’s children, and they can quote me in their English class, and we can take our first steps toward really analyzing literature according to what the author meant instead of what we thought they meant.

Hey, I can dream, right?

And so this concludes this post (and this interruption from the blogging hiatus). I’m headed back into my cave now, but big things are afoot. I’m working hard and writing a lot and revising some, and I have 55k of a book that I (fingers crossed) should be pitching at the beginning of next year. So hopefully I’ll be back with more good news soon.

As always, thanks for reading.

-Mary
Find me on Twitter @desantismt.

No comments:

Post a Comment