Saturday, April 5, 2014

MCS #10: Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

IMDB BLURB
Belle, whose father is imprisoned by the Beast, offers herself instead and discovers her captor to be an enchanted prince.

Seriously, what’s not to love about this movie? The heroine is an independent, willful woman who is willing to fight for those she loves. There’s a purely evil villain, and there’s a group of epic side characters. I’m sold.

Oh, also, Belle loves to read.

I’d totally be friends with her.

Moving on to the music. It’s lovely, fun, and, in places, even haunting. I’m thinking about the West Wing sequence in particular there. They added “Human Again” in the special edition DVD, and it didn’t ruin the movie.

Then there’s the scene where the beast dies. It’s beyond sad, and did you know that the music in the movie isn’t the original music for that scene? Check out the original score.

While I think this is absolutely lovely, I think the music in the movie works better for the scene. Here’s that version, along with the score through the rest of the movie. Don’t look at me like that. You know you want to listen to this.

Which do you like better?

Gastone—yeah, self-centered and a total jerk much? I mean really. There’s an entire song dedicated to how much he loves himself. That’s just sick.

And then there’s this picture that I just have to share…cuz reasons. *Warning: cursing.*

That’s my picture on Twitter, and I have no shame.

Writer’s Lockbox

Flesh out your secondary characters. Beauty and the Beast did this in the special edition with the previously mentioned “Human Again,” which gave new light (no pun intended since one is a candle) to our three main (and some of the background) secondary characters. Watch.

Also, it gave Jerry Orbach more singing time, which I am always in favor of.

Related Posts
-Secondary Character Appreciation…Few Weeks (1/3)
-Secondary Character Appreciation…Few Weeks (2/3)
-Secondary Character Appreciation…Few Weeks (3/3)

Last week: Bambi

And join me next week for Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas.

Thanks for reading.

Mary
@desantismt on Twitter

Follow My Blog With Bloglovin

-Kit ‘N Kabookle
My book blog

No comments:

Post a Comment